Tuesday, January 18, 2005

What do you mean I can’t browse the books? This is the public library, right?

Today I decided to get a library card and I went to the main library, you know, the one with the lions perched at the entrance. Well, they don’t let you browse books there. All the books are kept in back rooms. So you have to write down the title to a specific book and someone brings it out to you in 20-40 minutes! And I wasn’t even looking for a rare dissertation on how Van Gogh’s works influenced the daily lives of bankers in the mid 1800s (ok, I completely pulled that one out of my ass, but it sounds good, doesn’t it?)….I was just looking for the Idiot’s Guide to Photoshop Elements 2.0. Now, when I go to the library, I need to look at and touch the books before I make my selection. I explained to the guy at the desk that I wasn’t even sure which book I wanted, that I would at least need to look at the titles. I need to bring the book to you, was his reply. Well, can you bring all the books that have to do with Adobe Photoshop? I’ll try. I got impatient after 10 minutes and decided to find another library that’s not so, well, uptight, about their collection. I can't believe that just going to the library turned out to be such an ordeal!

2 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Beautiful Blog!!!

5:14 PM  
Blogger sj-the-infamous said...

Girl...libraries. I am quite disappointed in the selection available here in the Fulton Country library system. As "Black" as this city is, they don't have half the books that I could find when in DC. I enjoy my contemporary Black fiction when I need to "escape" into somebody else's fantasy world, but they don't have anything for me to escape into that I haven't already read! It's kinda frustrating actually. I didn't this getting current or new releases or even recent releases by African-American authors would be so difficult, especially here in ATLANTA...makes no damn sense.

Score one for DC, well the PG County Library system -- they got "erythang" LOL

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home